The Department of Geosciences and Geography at the University of Helsinki is offering a a post-doctoral position for a fixed term from 1 April 2016 to 31 March 2017 or according to an agreement. A trial period of two months will be applied.
The department seeks a talented and highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher that will participate full-time in the research project “Machine Learning in Palaeoclimatology,” funded by the Academy of Finland. The research project is integrated in interdisciplinary national and international research projects (EU, Nordic networks, Academy of Finland).
The research project will
1) develop machine learning (ML) techniques as palaeoclimatic reconstruction methods
2) test new ML approaches in reconstructing past climate change based on climatic proxy datasets
3) quantify past climate variability on millennial timescales and analyse associated climate dynamics, drivers and feedbacks.
The project will mainly focus on the boreal and arctic region of northern Europe. The project has defined key goals, but there is substantial room for independent and collaborative exploration of related topics in spatial and ecological modeling, palaeoclimatology and biogeography.
The ideal candidate will:
1) have a Ph.D. with research experience in either physical geography, ecology, geology/palaeontology, or comparable fields
2) have profound understanding in multivariate data analysis, spatial modelling, and ML algorithms
3) have understanding of palaeoecological/-climatic proxy datasets and their applications
4) have knowledge on the boreal/arctic vegetation and ecological modelling
5) show excellent writing and speaking skills in English (hard requirement)
Salary will be based on the Universities salary scheme for teaching and research personnel composed of both task specific (demand level 5) and personal performance components. The salary will be ca. 3300 € per month.
To Apply: Please submit your application using the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for job. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to leave their application via the SAP HR portal. Applicants are requested to enclose with their applications a CV, a brief statement of research interests, a letter of motivation, and the names and contact information of three references.
Deadline: Monday, February 29, 2016
Further information: For additional information on the position, contact:
Miska Luoto, Professor in Physical Geography, Tel. +358-2941-50768, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.helsinki.fi/geography/luoto/Miska_Luoto.html
Sakari Salonen, Postdoctoral Researcher, Tel. +358-50-5305542, email@example.com.